Medicare.gov has recently launched a new tool that will make it easier for Medicare beneficiaries to choose the best hospital for their care. With this new tool, users can browse and compare hospitals in their area, seeing information such as patient ratings, response statistics for certain medical concerns, readmission rates, and more.
Medicare’s Hospital Compare
If you are having a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital. The Medicare Hospital Compare tool is intended for non-emergency use, such as when scheduling a surgery.
Medicare’s new Hospital Compare tool allows users to browse hospitals and compare them across various criteria. By using this tool, patients can take control and make more informed decisions regarding their health care.
You can search Medicare’s Hospital Compare by ZIP code, city or state. The data provided is intended to give a summary about the quality of care at approximately 4,000 hospitals across the U.S. Use of the Hospital Compare is not just limited to Medicare beneficiaries- anybody who would like to is able to use the tool free of charge.
Information provided by Hospital Compare includes:
- Patient satisfaction ratings;
- Rates at which hospitals provided the recommended care for patients being treated for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, stroke, children’s asthma, and for patients having surgery;
- Rates at which patients suffered from surgical complications or healthcare-related infections;
- Readmission and mortality rates;
- Measurements regarding a hospital’s use of medical imaging tests;
- Payment and value of care information
Users can compare up to 3 hospitals at a time, and the information will be displayed side-by-side, along with statewide and national averages.
The Hospital Compare tool should not be taken as an end-all-be-all; it is strongly recommended that you consult with your doctor about which hospital can provide the best care for your needs.
If you are nearing or already 65 and would like more information on Medicare Plans in Washington State, please visit our Overview of Medicare, as well as our guide for those who are New to Medicare. For assistance in choosing a Medicare plan, contact us to get in touch with a licensed insurance agent today!